CURRENT WATER RATES
Dear Corporation Member:
September 17, 2019
Dear Corporation Member:
On September 16, 2019, the East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation (ERHWSC) Board of Directors approved the following water and wastewater rate structures. The new rates, fees, and a change to the water gallonage rate, as outlined below, will take effect after October 30, 2019 and will apply to all billings mailed on or after November 30, 2019. Please note that this is a conservation rate structure. Members that use larger amounts of water will pay more per thousand gallons as they use more of the system’s capacity.
|METER SIZE||METER EQUIVALENTS
|CURRENT MONTHLY RATE
|NEW MONTHLY RATE
|BASE USAGE (GAL)|
In addition to the minimum monthly rate noted in the table above, a gallonage charge shall be added at the following rates for usage above the base usage during any one (1) billing period. The current and new gallonage rates per 1,000 gallons in each tier are noted below:
1) $3.00 $3.50 per 1,000 gallons for any gallonage between 1 and 8,000 gallons above base usage;
2) $3.50 $4.00 per 1,000 gallons for any gallonage between 8,001 and 18,000 gallons above base usage;
3) $3.75 $4.25 per 1,000 gallons for any gallonage between 18,001 and 48,000 gallons above base usage;
4) $4.25 $4.75 per 1,000 gallons for any gallonage 48,001 gallons or more above base usage.
The average consumption of water for ERHWSC members is approximately 6,700 gallons per month. Based on this gallonage, the bill prior to this change in rate would have been $55.60 and with the new rates, the bill will be $60.20, which equals to a change of 8.27%.
Wastewater Service: The current monthly wastewater rate (minimum) is $37.00 with a base usage of 2,000 gallons. The new rate is $39.00 and will include a base usage of 1,500 gallons in order to mirror the base usage of water. The gallonage charge remains unchanged at $3.00 per thousand gallons for usage above 1,500, with a gallonage cap on residential customers at $30.00.
The following changes to the Corporation fee schedule are as follows:
Fee Description Current Fee New Fee
Meter Installation Standard Service with Tap $225.00 $420.00
Meter Install Standard Service without Tap $425.00 $912.50
Late Payment Fee (whichever is larger) $5.00 or 7.5% $7.50 or 7.5%
Reconnect Fee $35.00 $40.00
After Hours Reconnect Fee $60.00 $65.00
Service Trip Fee $35.00 $40.00
Meter Test Fee $35.00 $40.00
Security Lock Fee $35.00 $40.00
Service Discontinuance Fee $35.00 $40.00
Fire Suppression Service Fee $25.00 $35.00
Backflow Tester Application Fee (New) $100/year
Backflow Test Fee (New) $25/device/year
After serious consideration, the Board of Directors implemented these rate and fee changes for the following key reasons:
1. Additional capital is required to meet financial requirements of continued increases in operational expenses, debt service, and capital expenditures. [Capital expenses include water line upgrades, vehicle purchases, backhoes, trailers, water rights, plant upgrades, manhole repairs, and TXDOT adjustments. Debt service is specifically related to wastewater system expansion, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) compliance, and access to alternative drought and emergency water supplies.]
2. The gallonage rates have not been increased since 2009.
3. Annual budgets are increasingly influenced by principal, interest, depreciation, and debt reserve requirements associated with loans for critical water and wastewater treatment plant and pipeline projects.
4. The Board of Directors has approved the consistent purchases of additional Rio Grande River water rights as they become available through development for ERHWSC’s future water supply.
5. ERHWSC works vigorously to maintain compliance with TCEQ rules to avoid wasting ERHWSC funds on noncompliance fines.
6. Inflation continues to increase the cost of all products and services.
7. Protecting ERHWSC’s members’ health is our main priority and associated good water quality and pressure are critical to better service for our members.
8. ERHWSC’s primary funding agency, United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development (USDA-RD), now requires ERHWSC to set aside funds for the duration of the loan for four of our construction projects. These set-aside significant funds are to be used only for maintenance of the new construction.
ERHWSC values your membership and wants you to be aware that you and your fellow members’ participation make our rural water system possible. Many of our members still remember the days of reliance on canal water for domestic uses. We have come a long way. Please visit our website at www.erhwsc.com to learn more about ERHWSC, or contact us with any questions, recommended improvements or concerns.
Robert E. Middleton, Jr.
REQUIREMENTS FOR DEVELOPERS
NOTICE OF REQUIREMENT TO COMPLY WITH THE SUBDIVISION AND
SERVICE EXTENSION POLICY OF
EAST RIO HONDO WATER SUPPLY CORPORATION
Pursuant to Chapter 13.2502 of the Texas Water Code, East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation hereby gives notice that any person who subdivides land by dividing any lot, tract, or parcel of land, within the service area of East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation, Certificate of Convenience and Necessity No. 11552, in Cameron County, into two or more lots or sites for the purpose of sale or development, whether immediate or future, including re-subdivision of land for which a plat has been filed and recorded or requests more than two water or sewer service connections on a single contiguous tract of land must comply with "Section F, Developer, Subdivision, and Non-Standard Service Requirements" (the "Subdivision Policy") contained in East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation's tariff.
East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation is not required to extend retail water or sewer utility service to a service applicant in a subdivision where the developer of the subdivision has failed to comply with the Subdivision Policy.
Applicable elements of the Subdivision include:
Evaluation by East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation of the impact a proposed subdivision
service extension will make on East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation's water/sewer service
system and payment of the costs for this evaluation;
Payment of reasonable costs or fees by the developer for providing water supply/sewer service
Payment of fees for reserving water supply/sewer capacity;
Forfeiture of reserved water supply/sewer service capacity for failure to pay applicable fees;
Payment of costs of any improvements to East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation's system
that are necessary to provide the water/sewer service;
Construction according to design approved by East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation and
dedication by the developer of water/sewer facilities within the subdivision following inspection.
East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation's tariff and a map showing East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation's service area may be reviewed at East Rio Hondo Water Supply Corporation's offices, at 206 Industrial Parkway, Rio Hondo, Texas 78583. The tariff/policy and service area map also are filed of record at the Texas Commision On Environmental Quality in Austin, Texas and may be reviewed by contacting the TCEQ, c/o Utility Rates and Services Section, Water Utilities Division, P.O. Box 13087, Austin, Texas 78711.
Texas Landowner's bill of rights, click on the link CONDEMNATION PROCEDURES.pdf
Click on the link to view the ERHWSC Bylaws.pdf